Monday, 23 March 2009

You call that a knife? This is a knife!

Our first venture into the Aussie bush. Today we went to Blue Mountain which is a world heritage sight and is a 2 hour train ride from Sydney. They day started at 6:30am... I'm still not a morning person.

We spent the day doing a couple of bush walks. Not particularly interesting to describe via the medium of text. The second walk started out at the 'Three Sisters' and involved going down the 'Giant Stairway' which is approximately 900 steps. My legs felt weak on the descent so I was not particularly looking forward to the ascent back up. Ben started talking about how he had to go back up as it felt like a challenge had been set. At this point I knew the railway back up wasn't going to happen. A 2.5k walk led us to the railway and another stairway to the top. We went to see how much train was.... $10... 'if it was $5 I'd be tempted' said Ben. This, I knew, was a lie, for competitive Ben had emerged and even if the train was free he'd want to go up the stairs. The climb was hard, at one point I heard the Indiana Jones theme music and thought perhaps I was going mad but we made it in the end and on the journey home I listened to Transatlantic and felt a little homesick for the first time.

Note: Ben is much more fun to play at Pool when he is losing.

1 comment:

  1. Did he lose his temper Ollie, when he played pool? It is scary!!

    ReplyDelete