Thursday, 5 March 2009

Dropping Angkor? (yeah i know its bad, i can't think of anything else) - Siem Reap, Cambodia

We visited more temples round Angkor Wat mainly around the north and west with there being a couple of kilometres between each temple. Boy, were we glad to have a tuk-tuk. All the temples were like something out of Indiana Jones (Aubri i believe you might just have appreciated this more than most) this was echoed by some yank that we briefly met later in the day. I was interested to know why all the heads of the statues were missing, Ollie had a couple of theories. The first being the statues had a design flaw in the neck. I can't actual remember the other, mine was Henry VIII had visited. Turnout I was wrong and they were cut off to sell to collectors, shame I thought my theory was sound. After visiting lots of temples in the north and west we ended up back at Angkor Thom as we felt we didn't quite do it justice yesterday and we also had some time to kill before heading to the mountain temple to see the sunset. We planned to meet our tuk-tuk driver at a restaurant, when we finally got to it we were asked if we would like a cold drink or something to eat, they would always run out at the tourists trying to sell something, we said no and she said "Are you looking for your driver, Mr Rosa.... He's asleep, I'll just get him." he was a very sleepy man we had to wake him up a couple of times before, we then made our way up to the mountain temple. We got a good view of Angkor Wat from the very top amongst other attractive scenery. We had to wait a little while for the sunset but it was a good end to the day.

Oh.... I forgot to mention the actual steps up to the top well they we very steep, narrow and quite tricky to climb up (mum I really don't think you would have made it). So coming down was fun after the sun had set but we made it down eventually. All the temples were impressive but they all lacked something..... A giant slide down would make climbing up all those stairs so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment