The name was inspired by a t-shirt we saw for a night bar in I assume Siem Reap. Today we went to visit the modern wonder of the world Angkor Wat the area itself was massive, a bit of history reckoned that it was the first city with 1 million people (I'm not so sure about that but it gives you an idea of the size of the place). The first place we visited was the Angkor Wat itself, when we got off the tuk-tuk we knew we were in for a battle today, we were surrounded by locals asking if
wanted to buy things from them (kids as young as about 6 at times, it can be hard to say you aren't going to buy stuff from them as they are just nice). I have no idea how this place is not a wonder of the world the architecture and sheer size is captivating. We spend quite a while here destroying our camera battery life as we went. It was well worth the ridiculous bus journey to get to here and the slight expense to get in. It is also worth mentioning that there seemed to be a lot of wedding photos being taken here I mean who wouldn't want their photo taken there. On the way back to the tuk-tuk we again got mobbed by locals, resistance seemed futile as a local put a book in my hand and
wouldn't take it back despite we saying I really didn't want it. I managed to hold strong even though in the end after trying to sell it to me for $20 she offered it to me for $8. One of us mentioning no
names bought the same book for $15. We were then taken to an area known as Angkor Thom where we had a 2 hour trek round the temples starting with a temple called the Bayen. They were all pretty impressive, you kinda have to check out the photos but you really just have to go, I think I could get a job with the Cambodian tourist board. The walking almost killed us as we were in the heat of the day so we were very glad to finally sit down at a restaurant and recharge. We explored more temples after this including my favourite excluding Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm, it was the temple used in tomb raider. It was a little walk into the wilderness a little bit of information from the book told us it was being left generally in the condition it was found. The thing I like most about it was that it was very open and the trees were as much a part of the structure as the stones themselves.
It was a shame later cause it clouded over as we were sitting by a large lake reflecting on the day. It would have been a good place to see the sunset. We got back on the tuk-tuk and headed back for a much needed shower!
No comments:
Post a Comment